Friday, May 04, 2007

Upward and Outward

This Saturday we start Upward Soccer games. By we I mean that I am coaching Malory's team this season. At first there were many reservations. I have never played soccer, let alone coached it before, so when asked to do this I was not so sure. Never the less, I am doing it, and having a great time. Last night was our team's second practice and it went GREAT. Upward is a great program that will literally bring hundreds of people to the church who are not connected to Immanuel.

This week in staff meeting we talked a lot about being outward focused. To me that means we are purposeful on reaching those people who are outside the church. Those who are willing to make Christ Lord of their life. I was in a meeting once where someone disagreed with that, saying that our purpose was to build up the body. I guess to me the formula is very simple. You do both. You build up the body so the body goes forth.

Upward is that ministry which accomplishes just that. It gets the church body going forth. My prayer is that we adopt that same mentality church wide. Pastor encouraged people yesterday at our National Day of Prayer meeting to look at lost people as though they were our closest friends, relatives and neighbors. When we do, it gives an urgency in telling those who are lost about Christ.

So let's all go out there!!!! That is where the lost are!!!!

No comments: