Monday, May 07, 2007

Hummingbirds

I have always been amazed by birds in general. My grandfather was a bird watcher. I can remember going to his house as a kid and seeing him with his bird books and binoculars. I guess it is because of that, that I became a bird lover. They all simply amaze me, however, the Hummingbird is the one that really catches my attention. They are truly one of God's great creatures. This past weekend I bought a Hummingbird feeder and set it up on the back patio. I told the girls about it, which made them excited too.

Well, I set it up on Saturday and of course expected the little birds to show up immediately. After all, I knew they would come, because it is in the genetic makeup of our family. When they had not shown up by Saturday night, I was a little discouraged. I looked several times on Sunday afternoon and nothing. By that time, I was thinking I had done something wrong, put it in the wrong spot, etc. So last night we all went to church (Lord's Supper night - always a GREAT TIME), and I had to stop by the store on the way home. I knew when I got home that the first thing I was going to do was to check out the feeder.

When I got home, the girls with great excitement told me that one showed up (Malory was the first one the sight the magnificent creature). At first I was like, don't play that cruel joke on me, then I went outside and sure enough a hummingbird was there (a second one showed up a little later) partaking of the sweet nectar. SUCCESS at last. I am going to Barnes and Noble today to get a book on Hummingbirds so we can identify exactly what type of Hummingbirds we have.

If anyone knows which Hummingbird breeds (do you call them breeds???) grace this area??? If you do let me know.

2 comments:

Marcie's Mobile Notary said...

Hey Mark, now that you have the hummingbird feeder you also want to start planting things in the yard that the hummer's like. We have the hummer's here and we don't even have a feeder. You'll get to know them and will be able to watch them for hours. They can be comical and they do have personalities

Mark Rush said...

Hey, we do have some things that attract them. The way they are coming to the feeder, I am going to go broke buying sugar! I better find a more natural way to attract them or else. There will be up to 3 at the feeder at one time. I also have an Oriole coming to the feeder. He is really pretty.