Saturday, June 13, 2009

June Gloom

After living through our 11th June in Southern California I have come to realize that in SOCAL June can be a mixed bag weather wise. There have been June months that have been a scorcher, while others have been pretty mild. The milder June's are possible because of a pacific trough that sits off the coast and brings in a heavy marine layer. Sometimes the marine layer gets as thick as 5,000 feet in elevation. When this happens it brings in what we call "June Gloom." This is the time when living in SOCAL seems more like living in Seattle. This year "June Gloom" has been especially thick. We are now into our 22 day of below average temperatures. In fact as I write this, I am looking out the window at a cloudy, cool, drizzly morning. The lifers here seem to really dread this phenomenon. I, on the other hand, love it! It keeps things cool and saves on my electric bill. After all July will be here soon enough and the days will get hotter and hotter and the electric bill will rise accordingly. Temperatures during July - September have been known to be as high as 110+ degrees (of course it is a dry heat). So I will take my "June Gloom" extra heavy please!!! To me it is a reminder that God gives us what we need when we need.

No comments: