Monday, July 06, 2009

Tour de Lance

I began to follow the Tour de France some when I was younger. Mainly because I grew up in Boulder, Colorado which is a haven for cyclists. I had a friend who was really into the Tour and because of that I followed it somewhat. It was not until the 2001 Tour that I really got into it. That was Lance Armstrong's third tour win and I remember it like it was yesterday. I was at a friends house to watch early morning coverage of the British Open and while we were waiting for the Open to start we switched it to the Tour. When we switched it over Lance was on a climb in the Pyrenees and was trailing Jan Ulrich. It was at that point when Lance seemed to find another gear and passed Jan like he was standing still. At that very moment, I was hooked. I have watched it faithfully ever since. Even in the years sans Lance. That is what makes this year all the more exciting, because Lance is back. And after today it seems as though he is back to do more that just participate, he is back to compete for the maillot janune. So I plan on taking in as much as I can of this years Tour, even if it finds me waking up at 4:30am....

No comments: