Friday, August 01, 2008

have to vs. get to - a perspective on doing chores

Do I have to do my chores today? Every parent has heard these words uttered by their children (of course there are some adults who feel the same way). Not me, I enjoy getting to do my chores. Today was my chore day around the house. I got to wash both cars then I got to do some minor car maintenance (top off fluids, change oil and filter, install new air filter) then I got to mow the yard. Notice the subtle difference between the two. To me, I enjoy these things I GET to do. To me those things are therapeutic (call me weird). Of course don't think that there are things (chores) that I feel like I have to do. I think a great daily goal would be to look at everything in life as things we get to do!

Just a little random thought.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just had dinner with a great individual. Lost an arm in a traumatic accident. He asked if I mow my own lawn - I do. He told me how lucky I was. I am.

Mark Rush said...

Great word Jim - thanks for the comment